Perfect for a lunch or a dinner side dish. I served with a rotisserie chicken. Yum!
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup plus 2 T olive oil
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 1 cup farro
- 1 t sea salt
- juice of one lemon
- juice of one orange
- 1 small bunch tuscan kale, stemmed and finely shredded
- 1/2 english cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- Put the walnuts in a small skillet over low heat. Cook, stirring frequently until lightly toasted and fragrant, 8-10 min. Set aside to cool.
- Heat 2 T of olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and cook until shallots have softened and are fragrant, about 3 min. Add the farro and toast for about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and stir in 2 cups water and 1/2 t salt. Bring to a boil , reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally until faro us cooked through and tender, about 25 minutes. Drain the farro and set aside.
- Wisk together the lemon juice, orange juice, remaining 1/3 cup olive oil, 1/2 t salt in a large bowl . Add the warm farro and toss to coat. Add the kale, cucumbers, and walnuts and toss to combine, Crumble in the feta cheese and toss gently just to mix. Serve warm or room temperature.
Leave a Reply