There is truly no better way to start the week than with this super healthy, superfood salad. Kale, roasted broccoli, and lentils all topped with a creamy tahini dressing is to die for. Trust me, I have been eating it for weeks now. We all know that broccoli and kale are two of the world’s healthiest foods but lentils sometimes fall under the radar. Lentils are a powerhouse of nutrition. They are a good source of potassium, calcium, zinc, fiber, lean protein, folate and iron. In fact, gram for gram, lentils have more protein than meat! Hard to believe, but one cup of lentils provides about 18 grams of dietary protein. So, this salad is a complete meal and will definitely keep you satisfied. I always make a double batch and leave undressed so it lasts for a few weekday lunches. Its pretty strait-forward and so, so worth it! Enjoy
Whisk ingredients for dressing:
Cook lentils. Chop kale.
Toss well, massaging kale with your hands. Eat slowly and enjoy.
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 kale leaves, de-stemmed
- 1 cup lentils (I use french, but any will do)
- Tahini Dressing
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- If you have time, pre-soak lentils for 12- 24 hours before cooking. This is not necessary but increases nutritional value.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rinse soaked or not-soaked lentils and place in a pot with 2½ cups water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer and cook until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Place broccoli florets on a baking sheet and toss well with olive oil and salt. Set in oven and roast until crisp, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Slice de-stemmed kale leaved into thin strips and place in medium bowl.
- Add cooled lentils and broccoli and mix well.
- Whisk together all the dressing ingredients, using more water to thin if necessary.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss well.
- Serve warm or room temperature.