Portabello Mushroom Burgers
Serves: 4 burgers
- 8 medium portabello mushroom caps
- olive oil
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- burger toppings of your choice
- sesame seeds for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Lightly wipe dirt off the mushrooms using a damp paper towel. Gently remove the stems from the mushrooms and scrape out the gills using a spoon.
- Brush both sides of the mushrooms with olive oil and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt. Place mushrooms, gill side up, on a baking sheet. Bake until tender, flipping once, about 8 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, form the meat into four equal sized patties and season both sides with 1 teaspoon salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Spray or lightly oil a cast iron skillet and place over medium heat. Add the patties and cook about 2-3 minutes per side for medium rare. Place a piece of cheese on each patty, cover and cook until cheese melts, about 1 minute. Transfer patties to a plate.
- Place the patties on top of 4 mushroom caps. Add garnishes of your choice and then top with remaining mushroom caps. Sprinkle buns with sesame seeds, if desired.
Leave a Reply