Mexican Meatball Soup
Slightly adaped from Dinner at The Zoo
- For the meatballs:
- cooking spray
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 cups beef or chicken broth
- 1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped into 1/4 pieces
- 1 zucchini chopped into 1/2 pieces
- 1-15 ounce can of black beans drained and rinsed
- Kernels from 2 ears corn or 1 cup of frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Garnishes: chopped cilantro, tortilla strips, sour cream, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, lime wedges, avocado
For the meatballs:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil and coat with cooking spray. Combine all meatball ingredients and stir until thoroughly mixed together. Form 1 inch meatballs and place them on the pan.
Cook in oven for 15-20 minutes until meatballs are browned and cooked through.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add the carrots, zucchini, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring often.
Add the broth, can of tomatoes, and can of tomato sauce.
Bring the pot to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer for 1o minutes minutes.
Add the meatballs, black beans, and corn to the pot. Simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes or until corn is tender. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve immediately with toppings such as chopped cilantro, sour cream, tortilla strips, shredded cheese and avocado.