I ran into a friend at a party the other night who was raving about a salad she had at a friend’s house the night before. She explained to me the ingredients in detail… english peas, fava beans, french feta, lemon, olive oil and slivered mint. It sounded super yummy, so I thought I’d try and recreate it at home. She was right, this salad is DIVINE. And, although it is a little high-maitenance with all the shelling, it is well worth it. I promise. It is perfect with grilled shrimp or fish. Enjoy!
- 2 cups shelled fava beans, about 2 pounds in pods
- 2 cups shelled english peas, about 2 pounds in pods
- ½ cup crumbled french feta
- 4-5 mint leaves, chiffonaded (more if desired)
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- zest from ½ lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Bring a pot of water to boil and cook fava beans in for 2 minutes. Prepare an ice bath, remove beans from water using a slotted spoon and plunge beans into ice water and let cool.
- Add peas to the same pot of boiling water and cook for 2-3 minutes. Drain and place in a separate ice bath.
- Drain the fava beans. Remove the tough outer skins from beans by pinching the outer skin between your thumb and forefinger; discard skins and place favas in a clean medium bowl.
- Drain peas and add to the fava beans. Add mint and feta.
- In a small bowl, add lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in olive oil.
- Pour desired amount of dressing over salad and toss to coat. Adjust seasonings and serve.
Leave a Reply