Every summer, I spend a lot of time in the country at my mom’s house in Sonoma. The boys love exploring and swimming and I cook a ton as we rarely leave the property. There is also a thriving vegetable garden and orchard, which is such a treat. I have made this salad twice this summer and it is a perfect summer lunch. You can add chicken, egg, or turkey for some protein.
Summer White Corn and Nectarine Salad
- 2 heads romaine or 6 little gems
- 1 English cucumber
- 2 cups corn
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup feta
- 2 white nectarines or peaches
- 1/4-1/2 cup chopped basil
- dressing (1/2 cup lemon juice and 3/4 cup olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, fresh ground pepper)
- Slice romaine heads into 1/2 inch pieces, wash and dry well. Place in salad bowl.
- Put walnuts in a skillet over medium heat. Watch carefully, stirring constantly until nuts are golden brown. Place in bowl and set aside to cool.
- Peel, seed and chop cucumber into 1/2 inch pieces and place in salad bowl.
- Boil two ears of corn and let cool. Slice kernels off cob (about 2 cups) and place in salad bowl.
- Thinly slice nectarines or peaches and place in bowl.
- Add feta and chopped basil.
- Mix dressing and toss gently.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed.