My husband loves greek/mediterranean food and I am always looking for good recipes. I found Sara Forte’s greek chicken recipe and added a greek salad, tzatziki (cool, refreshing cucumber yogurt sauce), and couscous to make a perfect mediterranean-inspired meal. For the kids, I did plates with chicken, couscous, cucumber slices and a side of Tzatziki for dipping. My theory is that kids will eat almost anything as long as there is a dipping sauce!
Marinade (Recipe adapted from Sara Forte)
- 1 cup whole-milk greek yogurt
- grated zest and juice from 1 meyer lemon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped dill
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon finely ground pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (have butcher cut each breast in half and pound to about 1/2 inch thick, you should have 8 pieces in the end)
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a a shallow baking dish. Put the chicken breasts in the dish and turn so that each piece is fully coated. Let marinate in fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- Heat your grill or cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Cook chicken until cooked though, or about 4 minutes on each side. Serve with Tzatziki, greek salad and couscous.
- 2 cups whole-milk greek yogurt
- 1 english cucumber
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground pepper
- Peel, seed and dice cucumber into 1/2 inch pieces. Place in colander and sprinkle with salt. place something heavy on top of cucumber and let drain for 20-30 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together yogurt, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, dill, mint, and pepper. Add the drained cucumbers and mix together well. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Serve on top or on the side of the greek chicken.
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 pint cherry tomatos
- 2 Armenian cucumbers
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1 red pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Peel onion and thinly slice into half moons. Place in medium bowl and add vinegar. Let onions soak to reduce pungent and bitter taste.
- Meanwhile, quarter tomatoes and olives and add to bowl. Peel, seed and chop cucumber into 1/2 inch dice and add to bowl. Add herbs, cheese, olive oil and salt and pepper. Gently toss and adjust seasonings if necessary.