This a delicious, nutritious and relatively easy summer dish. The zucchini noodles are a great gluten-free, lower calorie alternative to spaghetti and you don’t even miss the pasta! Although, I did use regular noodles with pesto for the kiddos. We served with steak, green beans and an arugula salad. Enjoy!
Basil Walnut Pesto
- 2 cups packed basil leaves
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Place lemon juice, walnuts, garlic, salt, and pepper in food processor and blend.
- Add basil and blend to combine.
- With the motor running, add the olive oil, and then the parmesan. taste and adjust seasonings.
- Place aside.
- 4-5 medium size zucchini
- sea salt
- olive oil
- Using a julienne peeler, mandoline or by hand, slice the zucchini into thin strips like noodles. Place them on a clean dishcloth and sprinkle them with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt. Let sit for 20 minutes to sweat out access water. Blot with paper towel.
- Heat a cast iron pan with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add zucchini noodles and salute for about 6 minutes. Gently toss in about 1/3 cup prepared pesto and top with parmesan.