It sure seems like spring has finally sprung around here, which means its time to break out the grill! And, since the forcast calls for 70’s all weekend, a Sunday BBQ sounds dreamy. And, boy oh boy, does my family love a proper BBQ dinner. Chicken, cesar salad, corn on the cob (which unfortunately isn’t in season yet,) and of course, BAKED BEANS. These easy, tasty slow cooker baked beans are to die for. They are the perfect balance of tangy, sweet and savory. And, the good news is that they cook themselves in the slow-cooker so you can get out and enjoy the beautiful day.
- 1 pound dry small beans (navy, pinquito)
- ½ pound bacon, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup dark molasses
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups water plus water for soaking
- Place the beans in a large bowl and pick through them, discarding any broken beans or stones. Cover the beans with at least 3 inches of cold water and soak uncovered at room temperature for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain soaking liquid from beans, and place beans in a slow Cooker.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and saute until it is crispy and golden brown. Remove bacon pieces with slotted spoon and add to the slow cooker.
- Pour out about ½ of the bacon fat and place the skillet back over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add to the slow cooker.
- Stir water, ketchup, water, molasses, apple cider vinegar, onion, mustard, and brown sugar into the beans until well mixed and pour over bean mixture.
- Cover, and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, stirring occasionally if possible, though not necessary.
- When almost done, add the salt, taste and adjust seasonings.
Leave a Reply