The end of summer is always bittersweet. As hard as it is to say goodbye to the long lazy days, I certainly welcome more routine, structure, and apple season! With the return of school, breakfast is at 7am instead of 9am, and it’s always a push to get out the door. This is a great, hearty breakfast you can prepare the night before. I put all the ingredients in a pot and cover and place in fridge overnight. In the morning, all I have to do it cook it! Plus, soaking the oats overnight breaks down enzyme inhibitors, which makes the oats more digestible and absorbable. It also cuts cooking time.
- •1½ cups gluten-free rolled oats
- •3 cups water
- •1 tbsp butter, coconut oil or ghee
- •1/4 cup maple syrup
- •1 apple, peeled and grated
- •2 tsp cinnamon
- •1/2 tsp salt
- •walnut pieces
- •almond milk
- Place oats, water, butter, cinnamon, salt, syrup and grated apple in a pot. You can either cover and place in fridge overnight or cook immediately.
- When ready to cook, place the pot over medium heat and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until all liquid is absorbed, about 8-10 minutes. (20 min if you didn't soak oats.)
- Top with crushed walnuts and almond milk.
Leave a Reply