Vegan Red Thai Curry with Tofu and Vegetables
Author: Pollan Family
Serves: 4 servings
- One 14-ounch package firm tofu, drained
- Sea salt
- 2 cups boiling or very hot water
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 small chinese eggplant, halved lengthwise and sliced into ¼-inch thick half moons
- 2 tablespoons low-sodim soy sauce or tamari
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- One 13.5 ounce can unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup red curry paste
- 10-12 small cremini mushrooms, stemmed and quartered
- 1 small fresh red chili pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 cup 1-inch broccoli florets
- ⅓ cup chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 10 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 cups brown or white rice for serving
- Slice tofu block in half horizontal to make 2 slabs. Cut each slab in half so you have 4 equal size rectangles. Slice each rectangle in half to make eight squares total. Finally, cut each square in half on the diagonal so you have 16 triangles. Place the tofu in a shallow bowl. Dissolve 1 teaspoon salt in hot water and pour over tofu. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Spread paper towel over a rimmed baking sheet.
- Drain tofu in a colander and set the triangles in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Cover with more paper towels and place another baking sheet on top. Place a weighted object on the top baking sheet and let the tofu drain for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place eggplant in colander and toss with ½ teaspoon salt and set aside for 10 minutes. Carefully squeeze out extra liquid and set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a deep skillet or wok over high heat and line a plate with paper towels.
- Working in batches, carefully add the tofu slices to the hot oil and cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer the tofu to the paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix soy sauce or tamari, broth and sugar and set aside.
- Wipe out skillet or wok and place over medium heat. Open can of coconut milk without shaking and spoon 5-6 tablespoons of the cream from the top into skillet. Cook until cream begins to bubble, about a minute. Add the curry paste and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring for about 2 minutes. Add the eggplant, broccoli, mushrooms, chili pepper, bell pepper, shallot and ginger and stir until the veggies are coated and hot, about 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining coconut milk and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tofu and soy sauce mixture, stir and simmer for another 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the basil and the lime juice. Adjust seasonings.
- Serve immediately with warm rice.
Leave a Reply