Nothing says summer like tomato soup! Since August is the peak of tomato season, I try and make this soup as much as I can. The kids love it….especially, with the grilled cheese croutons. The recipe is slightly adapted from the amazing Ina Garten’s Barefoot Contessa and it is sure to be a hit. Enjoy!
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup with Grilled cheese croutons
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 4 pounds early girl tomatoes
- 2 yellow onions, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-quart chicken stock
- 1 can (28-ounce) tomatoes, with their juice
- 1 cups basil leaves (packed)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- good quality fresh sourdough bread
- cabbot cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and slice the tomatoes widthwise and gently squeeze out most of the seeds. Place in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper and coat well. Spread tomatoes evenly on a baking sheet and roast for 40 minutes.
- Melt olive oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat and sauté onions and garlic for about ten minutes, until soft and fragrant. Add the can of tomatoes, basil, chicken stock and oven-roasted tomatoes and juice. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes. Let soup cool and puree with an immersion or regular blender. add salt and pepper if needed.
- For the grilled cheese croutons: Put two pieces of cheese between two slices of sourdough bread and butter the outside of each. grill in a cast iron skillet or a panini machine, butter side down, until golden brown and cheese melted. Put on cutting board to cool. Cut sandwiches into ½ square croutons and sprinkle over soup.
Leave a Reply