This soup has everything you need. Full of vitamins and minerals from the veggies and protein and fiber from the legumes, it is truly the perfect nutrient-rich, detox soup. Honestly, it will clean your body out! I slightly adapted it from Pinch of Yum’s “The Best Detox Crockpot Lentil Soup” and it can easily be made in a crockpot or pressure cooker. Just transfer to slow cooker after sautéing the veggies and set to cook for 4 hours. It is gluten-free, vegan (if you use veg broth) but I do like to eat mine with a little parmesan cheese 🙂 Enjoy!
the best detox crockpot lentil soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cups butternut squash (peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes)
- 1 cup green or brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- ¾ cup yellow split peas (or just use more lentils), picked over and rinsed
- 8–10 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2–3 cups kale center ribs removed, chopped)
- Optional toppings: grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until soft and translucent, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Add carrots, celery, squash and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add lentils, split peas, stock, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, partially cover, and cook until legumes are soft, about 40 minutes.
- Place about 3 cups of soup in a blender. Process until smooth and add back to the pot and stir to combine. Stir in the kale and simmer for five minutes. Turn the heat off, adjust the seasonings, and add lemon juice.
- Serve in bowls with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.